Unite with Fellow Investors
Choose the Best Attorney
Follow Case Progress
id: 782, Created by Stan Vick, Scout
Sea Limited (SE) Financial Misrepresentation Case
What do I get by joining?
- You will get case updates and receive a payout in case of success
- If you would like to actively participate, you will be connected to the attorney
- No, you do not pay anything out of your pocket neither to us nor to attorney
- Sea reported Q1 2023 earnings that fell short of expectations.
- $SE fell 17.74% and lost over $8.8B of its market cap.
- Investors suspect Sea & its Accountables of financial misrepresentations.
On May 16, 2023, Sea Limited (SE) announced its earnings for Q1 2023 which fell significantly short of expectations due to a sharp increase in loan loss reserves.
- The Company advised that “our provision for credit losses increased by 120.5% to US$177.4 million in the first quarter of 2023 from US$80.5 million in the first quarter of 2022, primarily driven by expansion to a broader user base and the growth of our loan book”.
- Sea also disclosed that its CIO, David Ma, had left that role and joined the Company’s Board of Directors.
On this news, $SE fell 17.74% and lost over $8.8 billion of its market capitalization.
Taking all representations into account, investors have reasons to suspect Sea and its Accountables of financial misrepresentations and failing to disclose important facts, specifically:
- Sea overstated its ability to manage the growth of its user base and loan book while enhancing its profitability;
- Sea’s expansion to a broader user base and growing loan book rendered the Company significantly more vulnerable to higher credit losses;
- the Company was likely to book a significant increase in loan loss reserves;
- the foregoing was likely to have a significant negative impact on Sea’s earnings;
As a result, the Company’s public statements were materially false and misleading at all relevant times.
Failure to Disclose,
Depository Securities (ADS, ADR, GDR)
Shock Event Date
16 May 2023
21 July 2023
Lead Plaintiff Deadline
20 September 2023